Sunday, February 18, 2007

From the Department of Redundancy Department

If you give it your email address, ChangeDetection.com sends you an email whenever there's a recognizable change in the text of the webpage you're currently reading. The only thing is, it seems to have sent out two or three notices for the same page in the last 48 hours. In the several years I've been using it to watch for page changes on many other web sites, that has only happened about three times.

In my view, this is the Sorcerer's Apprentice Phenomenon. You remember the Disney's movie Fantasia where Mickey Mouse was apprenticed to the master sorcerer? When the master left instructions that Mickey was to mop and sweep the shop while the master was on an errand, Mickey decided to try out his nascent magic on a broom that lay quietly in a corner. Commanding the broom to grab a bucket and fill it at the cistern and then start mopping the floor, Mickey sat back and napped as the broom did as it was commanded. Suddenly awakened, Mickey felt panic as the broom kept on drawing water and sloshing it on the floor until the place was awash. And panic became horror when Mickey tried to stop the broom, first by reciting every magic word he knew and then by splitting the broom with an axe. The broom was now cloned, and two brooms continued the actions of the first.

Of course, when the master returned, a single word was enough to reverse the situation. But Mickey was hung out to dry. His career path to wizardry was cut short.

Automation is like that. If there is a law that applies to the process of allowing a computer to take over something, it is probably that of Unintended Consequences. One example that's more common than you might think is the Utilities System computer that sends you a bill for an account balance of $0.00, and unless you damned well send it a check (cheque) for that amount, you'll be dunned and sent to a collection agency. I tell you this: any company that puts me in that situation won't get nothing from me.

So I have to assume that if you sign up to be notified of changes to this blog, Mickey Mouse's broom will take over at some point, and you'll have so many notifications that you'll ignore them or put them in your spam filter. This would certainly be an unintended consequence. Or the other thing you can do is regard the problem as a blip. I've found once or twice that I've mistakenly signed up for a service more than once. I tend to do that with things that are free... since, as we all know, they are the best things in life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL OK I get it don't tell you when notify pulls a blooper.

Anonymous said...

Heh! When I clicked on your site and saw the same entry I'd already read, I just thought it was my Creeping CRS creeping up on me (redundantly speaking). I won't worry, Bill, as long as I can read your posts, redundantly or otherwise. And besides-which.

The Old Guy said...

Bonnie: I guess you'll think twice now before reading my stuff.

Dee: I had to look up your acronym. Of the official 140 meanings, I think Can't Remember Something is the closest to what we have here. A computer that can't remember that it's already sent out a reminder is indeed in trouble.

Anyone else: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. I'd hate to lose you as a re-reader.

The Old Guy said...

Just had a horrible thought. What if it's the comments that are triggering the redundant notifications? We'll have to check this out... Didn't seem to work that way in the past.

The Old Guy said...

OK, I've found that changedetection is actually monitoring two different URLs: http://www.cud-chewing.blogspot.com and http://cud-chewing.blogspot.com.

I think this is a problem with the DNS servers because there is only one blog. Most sites are registered with both URLs to allow people to find them either way.

I've submitted a problem report to ChangeDetection, and also, just to be on the safe side, I've blocked ChangeDetection from examining the comments field for changes. In the meantime, if you have an email filter, you could filter out the form with the "www." prefixed.

If I get no joy from CD, then my next move will be to see if Google has an answer.

Thanks for your patience.

Anonymous said...

Monday morning here Bill and I got another notify. I checked both and they are both http:// without the www.

So that shoots that theory. bg...