Friday, February 23, 2007

Deja vu from the Dept of Redundancy Dept

A while back, the readers of these screeds were getting multiple notifications of new posts from ChangeDetection.com. I did the only decent thing: after finding that this was not a common complaint, but nevertheless other sites had noticed this, I yanked CD off the site. As a solution, I suggested using the Atom syndication feed that is built into Blogger at the bottom of each post.

May I now offer if not a solution, a reasonable workaround. Try it if you find the RSS type feed too annoying.

I've set up a page on my website that points to this blog. Yes, using ChangeDetection. So you can sign up to monitor THAT page by dropping in your email address. (You can go to Changedetection and kill any previous pages that might have been monitored).

So here's what happens:
1) I write a blog entry and run a QBasic script that updates the date and time on that page on that site. What it actually does is change a local copy of the page and then FTPs it to the website.
2) ChangeDetection's monitor checks that page and finds only the time and date to have been changed. No fancy formatting, CSS or comments that could make it think there have been multiple changes.
3) You get the email notification of the change to THAT page, and click on the link to Cud-Chewing. It's just that easy.

If this fails, I will abandon the hope of simple notification. See, when The Coffee Bean Goddess blogs, she writes a nice little summary of her new post. The service she's chosen then notifies everyone. Much more user-friendly than Cud-Chewing.

Now, I would do that too, if I had any idea what I was talking about. But ChangeDetection, if it works, is ideal for people in a hurry. It doesn't summarize or repeat the comments; it just tells you that I mouthed off again, and gives you a link. You can run it pasteurize and see if it's working.

No comments: