Saturday, February 24, 2007

A different typo music

This morning while wasting time at the computer I went to the Google Directory in search of internet humor. Unrestrained clicking led me to a folk music style I'd never heard of: filk music.

A little further surfing revealed that
in the early 1950s, the term filk music started as a misspelling of folk music in an essay by Lee Jacobs, "The Influence of Science Fiction on Modern American Filk Music." - Wikipedia

The common thread that underlies filk, apparently, is science fiction or technology or cats and stuff like that and, frequently parody. One really great example is a song entitled "The Star Trek Next Generation Episode Guide" by filk artist Blake Hodgetts.

It's not all parody: there are all different styles and different performers, and a number of festivals across the US and in the UK. How come I never found out about this until now? I guess I just never made that particular typo.

No comments: