Monday, March 5, 2007

Time tickets away.

Today proved to be a bit harrowing. It was the day immediately before the scheduled 8:30 a.m. court appearance mandated for any driver who doesn't pay a ticket on time. In my case, it was a ticket previously blogged that would have involved $130 for driving without valid license tags.

I had made two telephone attempts last week, plus an appearance in person at the court offices to pay the fine. There would be no point in contesting it. It would have been obvious because the bright yellow sticker was four months out of date, while I had it in my head that license plate renewals were valid for two years, just like operator permits.

But after a couple of phone calls to the police department which included not being able to contact the officer involved, I panicked and drove once more to the court office. Again, they found no evidence that a ticket had been written. At that point, they checked with the police office next door, and determined that the charge had been dismissed.

Needless to say, I was grateful. I told them that I was sorry I couldn't buy roses for them, but that the two ladies in the office should consider themselves bouqueted. If that's a verb. Actually, I don't think I knew what I was saying.

The whole thing saved me shelling out $130.00

I later contacted the officer who reassured me that it was indeed dismissed. I told him that what I had learned from all this was that it wouldn't happen again, he replied, "I think that's a pretty safe bet. Have a nice day!"

It was a nice day. Thank you, officer. You two, ladies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's $130 you can put away in your yurt fund, my dear.