Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Justice once, let's do something nice for these folks

The most interesting thing about the New Year is that it will have one more day than the three previous years did. I suppose they each gave up a quarter of their entitlement so that 2008 could bask in the additional day.

So the big question becomes, "What am I gonna do with the extra day this year?" For most of us, it's just the last day of another month, and if we're working, we're working.

This is all wrong. February 29 should be a national, if not a world, holiday. It's very special. Consider all those people who were born on this date. Their first birthday celebration would have been when they were three years old.

It should be a bigger deal, and there are, of course, leapers who are working on it constantly. Here's a list of famous leapies, and here's an example of the kinds of problems they face, having to live a lie when it comes to drivers' licences and insurance.

What could it hurt to honor leapers by declaring a day in their name, and preferably a day off? It's a throwaway anyway, because most of us don't welcome the idea of working an extra day in February. We're too excited by the groundhog and winter and global warming and terror and shopping to want to waste time slaving in the pits that day.

I think I'm gonna do it anyway. If I haven't burned up all my vacation by then, I'm gonna talk the boss into letting me celebrate LeapDay this year. After all, it's a Friday.

And then I'm gonna find me an 84 year old and wish him or her a Very Happy 21st Birthday!

No comments: